Using rewards credit cards can be an easy way to gain extra benefits from your everyday spending. Who doesn’t like being rewarded for doing nothing? There are a few different types you can get, which means you can choose the best one for you and your lifestyle.
How do rewards credit cards work?
It’s simple, by making purchases with this kind of credit card you can earn yourself rewards. These rewards are usually given as cashback or points.
|Cashback||You will get a percentage of all your purchases back every time you use your credit card.|
|Points||Using your credit card will earn you points that you can then use to spend at certain shops, |
airlines or hotels.
By the way, there are different types of points:
- Fixed value points – they have a fixed, unchangeable value (e.g. 1p) that you can only use at specific companies through a loyalty program.
- Flexible (or transferable) points – you can transfer your points to a variety of the credit card’s partners like shops, airlines or hotels.
- Airmiles – these points are specifically for booking flights through an airline’s loyalty program.
First, some tips for using a rewards credit card:
- Are you sure it’s worth it? Don’t be fooled into getting a rewards credit card for a service you rarely use. For example, it’s probably not worth having a travel rewards credit card if you only travel once or twice a year. Resist the temptation and be realistic.
- Always make sure you pay back your balance in full each month. If you don’t, you risk losing a lot – if not, all – of your rewards perks. Only get a rewards credit card if you’re confident that you can pay it back.
- Never use your credit card for cash withdrawals except in an emergency. You will have to pay interest, and then you’re more at risk for not paying it back on time.
Now let’s have a look at how you can boost your rewards earnings. There are many ways that you can maximise your points or cashback with just a little extra effort (we promise).
Make sure you take advantage of the sign-up bonuses a lot of rewards credit cards offer. These are often the incentive to get the card, so they’re normally pretty generous. Read the conditions carefully to make sure you fulfil the criteria in time.
Websites and apps
Get some outside help. There are a range of websites and apps that can help get you even more rewards and better manage your extra earnings, like:
- Topcashback – a free-to-use website that gives you generous cashback on a range of purchases.
- Stocard – for loyalty points across many stores, you could use this handy app and manage them all together. Store all your loyalty cards on Stocard, and simplify your shopping experience!
There’s another way you can reel in the rewards!
Download Curve to start earning instant 1% instant cashback rewards* on top of your other rewards credit cards. With us, you can manage your spending on one stylish card and an even smarter app. Curve makes managing your money easy as pie with real-time alerts of your card activity and a crystal-clear overview of how you’re spending.