With online hackers becoming more skilful by the day, make sure you’re in the loop and know what to do if your credit card or bank card information his stolen. Here’s a handy breakdown of what you should do if you find yourself in this situation….
Check Your Credit Report
- Fraudulent activity may not show up on your current accounts. Instead, fraudsters may open new accounts under your name.
- Monitoring your credit report regularly allows you to see this activity and nip it in the bud.
- If you find fraudulent accounts, put a freeze on your credit report. This means the bank will have to contact you directly before opening an account, and it will alert them that you’ve been victim to identity theft.
Report Fraudulent Activity
- If you find credit card activity that is not you, either with an account of your credit report, you should dispute the item.
- Contact the bank involved and tell them there has been fraudulent activity.
- You will need to file a police report. The bank may require a copy of this to reverse the charge or close down the fraudulent account.
We know what you’re thinking… ‘Great, but how can I avoid this happening next time?’ Don’t worry, we’ve got your back! Here are some top tips:
- Only use your card on trusted sites. Always be sure that the site is secure before you enter your card information
- Monitor your accounts daily or weekly so you can notify the bank immediately and stop unauthorised charges
- Stick to bank-owned ATMs. Here’s why: You’ll avoid ATM fees, plus outdoor ATMs are more likely to be hacked, or have skimmer devices installed intended solely to steal your information
- Avoid online shopping on public WiFi or public computers
At Curve, your security is top priority for us. Curve is safer than carrying all your cards with you. We don’t store your card numbers in the app, your information is securely encrypted with advanced technology and we never ever share your information with retailers.
But what if my Curve Card is stolen?
If you misplace your card or suspect you’ve been a victim of fraud, please lock it in-app. This will stop anyone from using your Curve Card. Contact Customer Support immediately on our emergency lost and stolen phone line with information about unusual activity on your card: +44 203 322 2585**. We will cancel your card and issue a replacement (free of charge) and tell you about the next steps to take.
To Lock your card on iPhone, tap on the card menu at the bottom left of the app and then tap on the Lock Card button. To unlock, go to the same place and click Unlock Card. For Android, chose the menu on the bottom left of the app, then Lock Card.
**You may be charged by your network provider.