If there’s one thing that unites us all; it’s a love for free stuff. We all know that money makes the world go round, but that doesn’t make spending our hard-earned cash any easier. Luckily, there are plenty of ways to get your hands on some free stuff. We promise, your wallet doesn’t need to be anywhere near you. Check out these 6 savvy tips and start reeling in the freebies!
- Get a loyalty card- Never underestimate the perks of having a loyalty card. Although we all tend to roll our eyes at the checkout counter, when asked “Do you have a loyalty card with us?”, these are actually the hidden gems of the commercial world. Some of the most notable loyalty cards are Tesco’s, and Boot’s. Tesco’s Clubcard is popular because every pound you spend there, you get 1 pence worth of clubcard points. At first, this doesn’t sound like much, but assume you do all of your weekly shopping at Tesco’s. That means, over the course of a year, you could find yourself saving hundreds of pounds. The Boots Advantage card is even more rewarding (£1 = 4 points = 4p at their store). And you get the added benefit of using these points online, too. So, next time you get asked the question that is about as inevitable as the sun rising, definitely take the extra minute or two to sign up.
- Bring a reusable bag- Still on the topic of grocery shopping, we always chuckle when we have a trolley’s worth of shopping, and we get asked “Do you want a bag?”. Why, yes, of course we do. But, the standard shopping bag costs about 5p, which does not seem like much when you’re stood at the counter. But, like all small costs, these accumulate over time, meaning you could be spending hundreds of pounds for no need at all. Think about investing into a large, sturdy bag so you can be that keen green person who says “No thanks, I don’t need a bag- I’ve brought my own.”
- Hold on to coupons- Although they are very tempting to use as bin-fodder, hang on to your coupons from restaurants. McDonald’s often hands out coupons that can get you a whole free meal! They bank on you not holding on to them, but if you do, you can definitely reap some benefits. Other restaurants like Leon, also have a rewards system whereby for every several meals, you get a free one, too. This is very helpful if you particularly like eating at these restaurants.
- Look out for pizza deals- When you’ve made the delicious decision to order a pizza, it’s likely that you have a set amount in your head that you’re willing to spend. But think outside the box (pun intended). Don’t order your pizza at the most popular times, like on weekend nights. Domino’s offers a great value Two for Tuesday deal, meaning when you buy a pizza on a Tuesday, you get one free. Definitely keep an eye out for these absolute bargains, since you’ll definitely notice a difference in your saving in no time at all.
- Get an Oyster card– Most of us hate loose change. There’s not much you can do with it, and it’s definitely not worth the trouble to exchange it at a bank. But, perhaps we can offer you a good solution, so you can put these pesky little metal things to good use. If you live around London, invest in an Oyster Card. If you use the Tube to commute, chances are you spend as much as £100 a month just to get to and from your job. With stats like these, you should look for all of the help you can get. At all Tube stations in the city, there are kiosks where you can top up your Oyster card with your loose change. So, next time you see some loose change lying around, put it in your pocket on the way out of the house, and top up your Oyster card. First, your place will generally look much neater without loose change lying around, and, second, you will save more on your travel expenses.
- Get a Curve card- If you’ve made it this far, you’re mad keen on saving. So, last, and helping you spend the least, is the Curve card. Take full advantage of our 1% instant Curve Cash at your selection from our list of top retailers, so you can save at your favourite shops. And if you choose Curve Metal (or Curve Black), you get Curve Cash for unlimited time – it pays to spend!